Monday, August 13, 2012

Harvey James Shumway

So I think its safe to say having a baby makes everything harder! including blogging! its been almost 8 months since I last posted. So get ready for some awesome posts!
WARNING: Some things in this post might be TMI and bloody. So brace yourself.
Being pregnant was uncomfortable, but not as bad as I thought it would be I cant believe I got so big! I couldn't wait to have the baby, but I told myself I wouldn't worry about anything. so even though waiting was hard. I didn't freak out about it.

Kevin was such a good sport! My mom flew out from Wisconsin to be here for the birth, so luckily I was able to be induced at 6pm on February 27th. Kevin and I packed up all our things and headed out to the Hospital. I may have packed too much, and I wasn't able to carry anything, so Kevin Helped out a bit.
When we got to the hospital the doctor put something in my cervix to soften it, and it was to stay there all night until early that morning- and it did just that. no contractions until about 7am. We got excited when they started. Kevin my mom and I started walking around and counting how far apart they were- about 5 minutes. Soon contractions were getting harder so the doctor decided to break my water. and after that We walk around a bit more. the contractions got so intense that walking was getting a little too hard so I jumped back in bed and they gave me medicine through an IV. That was glorious. I was able to rest for a few hours, and eventually the medicine couldn't stop the pain. So after about 8 hours they gave me an epidural. epidurals are amazing! I couldn't really move at all, and I couldn't feel any pain, or anything at all for that matter, and after going through quite a few hours of horrible pain it was euphoric.
(although it did make me very sick!)
Kevin was very supportive through the whole ordeal. He helped me breath through contractions and sat with me all through labor.
At 6:40 I was ready to push. I had NO idea how I was going to do it seeing how I couldn't even lift my head (As shown in this picture)
It was much easier than I expected All thanks to my mother-in-law Susan, She is truly a wonderful coach! about she would need to be after 9 kids! (I suppose I should thank my mom and kevin for their help too)
at 7:02pm, About 15 minutes later.....

The first thing I thought when he was born was "Already?" I didn't even know he had come out until he was crying! it all happened so fast! The second thing I remember thinking was "Give me my freaking baby!!" The doctor took his time cleaning Harvey off before he gave him to me...I couldn't speak very loud because, as you could imagine, I was very weak. I remember whimpering "Give him to me, give him to me" but he probably couldn't hear over my sobbing. Having a baby is very emotional!


 When he finally gave me Harvey I was so excited! to finally hold him in my hands. He was SO slippery! I was scared i was going to drop him, thankfully my mom's hands were there to help me otherwise I probably would have dropped him.



Kevin said he wasn't going to cut the cord because he thought it was gross. but of course, after seeing Harvey and what I went through, He figured it wasn't so bad!